Write your Valentine their own fortunes and put them in cookies.
What You Will Need:
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Write fortunes on strips of paper. ( typed mine out and changed the ink color to red.)
- Generously grease 2 cookie sheets
- Mix the egg white and vanilla until foamy.
- Sift the flour, salt, and sugar and blend into the egg white mixture.
- Start off making one or two at a time. Place 1/2 tablespoon full of the batter at least 4 inches apart on one of the prepared cookie sheets. Be careful to make batter as round and even as possible.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes or until cookie has turned a golden color 1/2 inch wide around the outer edge of the circle. The center will remain pale. While one sheet is baking, prepare the other.
- Remove from oven and quickly move cookie with a wide spatula and place upside down on a wooden board. Quickly place the fortune on the cookie, close to the middle and fold the cookie in half. Place the middle of the folded edge (not the side where the outside edges of the cookie meets) vertically across the rim of a cup and pull the pointed edges down, one on the inside of the cup and one on the outside. You must do this while the cookie is hot or it may break.
- Place folded cookies into the cups of a muffin tin or egg carton to hold their shape until firm.
- Give to your Valentine!